Date: 29th September, 2021
Time: 11:00 AM – 15:00 PM UAE TIME
07:00 AM – 11:00 AM GMT TIME
4 Hours Webinar
Webinar Fee: 99 USD
Academic advisors play a critical role in maximizing the student learning experience as well as supporting and engaging them. Students rely on advisors for academic information, assistance in navigating in the university, locating and understanding policies and procedures, and problem-solving and decision-making (Smith & Allen, 2014).
Well-designed academic advising services also, support students’ intellectual growth, empowers students to clarify and attain their diverse academic, personal & professional goals, fosters student retention and promotes student success.
While students studying on campus may find it sometimes challenging to locate offices and engage with their academic advisors beyond obtaining course approvals; online students may struggle even more and have a feeling of being lost, as they do not have the opportunity to develop the contextual framework associated with buildings, faces, and in-person referrals. Moreover, the culture and expectations of online students may differ from those of campus-based student.
It is important that academic advisors adopt a proactive approach and take into consideration the unique needs and limitations that online students may have. Advisors are encouraged to offer students a variety of options regarding how students can receive advising, making sure to understand the needs and preferences of each individual student. Regardless of the method of delivery, each advising session should make the student feel cared for, understood, and valued.
Moreover, both institutions and advisors should come together to regularly monitor the quality of academic advising and the impact it is having on the student learning experience.
This webinar aims at identifying the broad range of understanding, knowledge, and skills that support academic advising in online environments. It will acquaint participants with different strategies, tools and techniques to enhance their advising practices and consider how technology may be exploited to offer a better and more personalized advising experience.
- Advising philosophies, approaches and models
- Advising students in Online Learning: Contextual considerations
- Understanding the advisor and advisee roles & relationship
- Essential components of a successful academic advising program
- Challenges in Online Academic Advising
- ECultivating collaboration between advisors, faculty and students
- Personalizing your academic advising
- Skills and competencies for effective online academic advising
- Academic advising policies and resources
- Using technology to improve academic advising
- Evaluating Academic Advising
Who is this Webinar for?
The webinar is relevant to anyone involved in delivering or overseeing online learning including:
- Academic Advisors
- Directors & Staff working in Student Services Units including Career Advising, Counseling, Tutoring Centers, etc.
- Heads of Academic Departments and Program Directors responsible for overseeing academic advising
Dr. Narimane Hadj-Hamou, UAE
Founder and CEO, the Center of Learning Innovations and Customized Knowledge Solutions (CLICKS), UAE