Date: 26th May, 2021
Time: 06:00 AM – 10:00 AM GMT TIME
10:00 AM – 14:00 PM UAE TIME
4 Hours Webinar
Webinar Fee: 99 USD
Policies are essential to Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) as they clarify the expectations from various members of the community, provide a framework for institutional integrity, promote consistency, efficiency and effectiveness, help mitigate and manage institutional risks and supports compliance and adherence with accreditation requirements.
However, despite the ‘well- known’ benefits of having well -designed, consistent and ‘fit for purpose’ institutional policies and procedures; developing these can be a daunting activity for Universities and Colleges; in particular given the very complex nature of Higher Education and the various internal and external influencing factors.
The aim of this webinar is to provide those with policy drafting, management and/or review responsibilities with an opportunity to explore how good policies can be formulated, implemented, regularly assessed and reviewed from a system perspective.
The webinar will expose participants to a six-phase policy development life cycle process which can be easily adapted to different institutions. The relation between institutional mission, values, strategic goals, internal and external quality assurance and policies will be addressed throughout the session.
Various strategies and approaches to improve compliance will be discussed as well as the link between policy compliance and risk management.
By the end of the webinar participants will:
- Get an understanding of the key elements of better practice in policy development and review from a system-wide perspective
- Understand the process for policy development, implementation, monitoring and reviewing of policies and how to analyze monitoring indicators
- Build institutional frameworks and processes for defining, formulating, implementing, overseeing, assessing and reviewing institutional policies in participatory manner.
- Write clear, concise and coherent policies which are aligned with the institutional mission, core values and strategic goals
- Develop a policy register and create accessible policy websites
- Reflect on current institutional practices related to policies’ development, implementation, evaluation and revision
The webinar will be offered through 3 interrelated sessions as follows:
Session 1: Building Your Capacity for Policy Development
- Education Policy: Why? What? How?
- Organizational culture and policies
- Issues and challenges facing policy development in Higher Education
- The difference between strategies, policies and procedures: why do they matter?
- Stakeholders’ engagement with policies development and review
- Categories of policies in higher education
- Characteristics of good policies
- 10 reasons why policy fails
Session 2: The Policy Development Life Cycle
- The Policy Life Cycle
- Policy initiation
- Policy development and writing style
- Policy consultation and approval
- Policy communication & training
- Policy implementation, monitoring and compliance
- Policy evaluation and review
Session 3: Putting Together an Integrated System
- Structure of a policy document
- Policy on Policies on policies
- Building an integrated institution wide system
- Establishing compliance programs & their role in risk management
- Developing institutional policies’ repositories
Who is this Webinar for?
- Directors and staff working in quality assurance and institutional effectiveness offices
- Manager and staff in charge of overseeing the process for policy development and implementation
- Staff in charge of compliance programs and risk management
- Vice Presidents, Deans of colleges and schools interested in policy development
Dr. Narimane Hadj-Hamou, UAE
Founder and CEO, the Center of Learning Innovations and Customized Knowledge Solutions (CLICKS)